Travelling and exploring new places is undoubtedly an experience everyone loves. However, with the rise in crime all over the world and in South Africa, safety has become an important issue.
We’ve compiled a few tips to make sure that you stay 100% safe while having fun and learning with us in our Townships.
- Always use local and registered tour guides, this allows for a more interactive experience where you will not just be shown places from a distance but you’ll have an opportunity to engage with locals which they love.
- Train and bus stations are hubs of mass people so it is easy for them to grab and then run – make sure you have all your belongings close to you, and a good grip on suitcases at all times.
- Stay on the lookout, and be attentive.
- Bags and cameras: keep bags/backpacks closed with the zipper, it makes it harder for anyone to stick their hand in without you realizing it.
- Keep bags across your chest and in front, not in the back.
- If you ride public transportation, hired vehicle or your own transport, always be on the lookout for smash and grabs. Keep your belongings away from the windows.
- Always ask for permission if you want to take a picture as some people may find it offensive and retaliate.
- If you’re ever surrounded by kids asking for money, get away and try to say no or don’t reason with them. They can be used as distractions while generally, an adult grabs something else.
- Pickpocketing is not something that’s very common but always be on the lookout when you are in crowded areas, you never know when one is around.
- keep money and cards divided, among wallet, purse, pockets… never carry everything all together. You don’t want to take out and show large quantities of money on the streets, like if you’re at a market.
- Avoid carrying or displaying expensive jewellery, cameras and other valuables
- Do not carry large sums of money
- Always ask for permission before taking pictures of people and their spaces
- Stick to the group and don’t wander on your own
- Avoid giving money to beggars; this can draw unwanted attention
- If you’re unsure of anything, ask
Remember, we’re here to make sure that you get the best of what Townships have to offer. So have fun, relax and stay safe!